Transit Road ChurchTransit Road Church, c. 1854

Originally located on Transit Road near Muegel Road, this typical country church served the German-speaking Lutheran residents of East Amherst, NY, until the 1960s. As inscribed above its door, it originally served as the Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church. With the exception of the altar window, all the stained glass windows and the first four pews in the church are the originals. The altar window is a modern adaptation created by Frohe Art Glass—the very firm that created the original windows.

Dann Road HouseDann Road House, c. 1840

This small plank house is typical of the first small structures often built by the earliest residents of Western New York. Unlike most other homes of this type, Dann Road House was never enlarged. Originally located near Dann and Smith Roads on property owned by the Lapp family, the house was likely rented to a poor tenant farmer or farmhand. Currently, this house features Building Amherst—an exhibit on historic building construction techniques.

Bigelow HouseBigelow House, c. 1865

Originally located near New and Smith Roads, this house was built between 1840 and 1857 by Henry Bigelow, one of Amherst’s early residents. The house was constructed in the “saltbox” style, named for the distinctive pitched roof that slopes from the two-story front to the single story in the back which resembled a wooden lidded box in which salt was once kept. While not common in this area, the saltbox style was prevalent in Bigelow’s New England birthplace. The interior is furnished to reflect the most probable use of the house at that time—the home of Bigelow’s farm manager.

Smith Log HouseSmith Log House, c. 1843

Originally located in what was known as the “French Settlement” area near Ellicott Creek Road and Niagara Falls Boulevard, this log house was constructed of hand-hewn logs. Built by the Schmitt (Smith) family upon arriving in Amherst, NY, from Alsace-Lorraine. It was occupied by Henry Smith, his wife, his mother-in-law, six young children and possibly a farmhand. This home, with only two first floor rooms and an attic loft, is typical of the many log houses built in Amherst by German settlers.

Hoover HouseHoover House, c. 1875-1880

Owned by George Hoover from 1854 to 1883, this house was originally located at the northwest intersection of Dodge and Glen Oaks Roads. A successful businessman, Mr. Hoover sold farm machinery from the office wing of the house. The home was later owned by Adam Schworm for whom the hamlet of Swormsville, NY, was later named.

Sweet Home Common SchoolSweet Home Common School #15, 1847

This one-room schoolhouse was originally located on Sweet Home Road near Tonawanda Creek Road. Built in 1847 for $125, this small structure served as a school for more than a century until 1948. The building retains many of its original elements, including an original sand table which was used to practice letters. The furnishings are all reproductions based on those that were in the schoolhouse originally. The original records of the planning, construction, furnishing and operation of the school are part of the BNHV archives.

Barbershop, c. 1898Barbershop, c. 1898

Originally located on Transit Road in Swormville, NY, this building was constructed c. 1890 and was used as a barbershop and photography studio from 1900 to 1942 by Frank Reikart. The exterior and interior paint colors match the original colors of the building. Look for the fancy “gingerbread” facade and porch.

Elliott HouseElliott House, 1851

Built in 1851 at the corner of Garrison Road and Park Drive in Williamsville, NY, this house was occupied by plough maker George W. Elliott, his wife, two daughters and son until 1855. The re-created kitchen wing contains a replica 1850 cooking stove, which is used today for demonstrations.

Blacksmith ShopBlacksmith Shop, 1899 replica

The blacksmith provided one of the most important services in the community, making or repairing nearly everything that was made of iron. While many blacksmith shops were larger, this replica is typical of the smaller, one-man shops found on farms. Members of the New York State Designer Blacksmiths perform demonstrations for visitors.

Williamsville SchoolWilliamsville School #9, c. 1880

This one-room schoolhouse was originally located at New and Smith Roads. The building was used as a school until the early 1950s and is an excellent example of late 19th-century schoolhouse architecture. The double desks in the front of the schoolhouse are original furnishings. All others are from the late 19th century. Look for the recently restored rondel over the door identifying the school.

Lavocat HouseLavocat House, c. 1840

This house was located on New Road in Amherst, NY, between Millersport Highway and Tonawanda Creek Road. The original section of the farmhouse was constructed with a technique called “nogging,” which utilized rough brick masonry used to fill in the open spaces of the wooden frame. This type of construction helped prevent fires from spreading and made temperature changes less rapid, keeping the house more comfortable. Stop by the newer kitchen wing for weaving demonstrations.

BandstandBandstand

During outdoor events, the Buffalo Niagara Heritage Village Bandstand is the spot for dancing, entertainment, musical performances by the Amherst Symphony, and more. It’s also where you’ll find the emcees at our Scottish Festival games.